Thursday, June 21, 2007

Avian Flu

Hey plush pals, Robert here. When I was a kid, probably eight or nine, I decided I absolutely and irrationally needed a multi-tiered, pagoda-like bamboo birdhouse that I found in a shop or catalogue. Immediately began the Christmas campaigning, and apparently my pleading worked as I later found out my poor father was up till all hours Christmas eve assembling the damn thing. It sounds horrible when I say it, but in retrospect the idea of having a pet bird was really secondary to owning that cage. I did select a green parakeet and named him Pistachio who was a poor housekeeper and continually generated a two foot circle of feathers and seed shells around his cage. And I confess to completely panicking when he was let out of his pagoda and flitted insanely around my room. Admittedly not the most successful pairing of pet and kid.

These days I admire birds from afar and I love their growing prominence as subject matter in the crafting and plush-making communities. So as a small salute to our winged pals I've selected a few artists currently creating avian themed plush.

I've long been enamored of artist Ann Wood's flock, each deceptively simple and full of subtle personality.

picture name

Jenn Docherty's felted feathered friends gather in the sweeter side of the aviary where it appears they're all ready to celebrate some bitty buddy birdie's birthday.

picture name

And finally, Laura Faggioni's birds are elegant little works of folk art made all the more charming by the evident handiwork of their creator.


picture name

No comments: