Thursday, February 26, 2009

Managing Thyself

I feel a bit lazy on the crafty side these days. I do believe that I can work hard but lately I just feel uninspired. I did a big clean up in my "craft room" (closet) which I thought was a good start to getting those crafty juices flowing. BUT I am still uninspired. I try to work on stuff but feel bored and this makes me sad.

How do you get those juices flowing when you aren't "into it"?

Here are a few things I found interesting.

A good article about Getting into the Zone found here

This does not fully apply but the sentiment is there

Good points

Things that do inspire me can also completely overwhelm me.

The Usual Suspects:

Craft. So many ideas but so little time.

flickr

Etsy

Whip up


I really don't try to beat myself up too much about these times in my life where nothing is striking but I miss the excitement and adrenaline rush I get when I am creating something. I have been reading lately and that is nice and cooking still but yeah,I need to get in a zone soon because I really want to apply to this year's Bazaar Bizarre at the Maker Faire. Applications will be available starting on March 9th. I am really excited about this possibility, they do a great job!

Today I have been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash because today would have been his 77th birthday. He had an amazing career and was a beautiful song writer. I wonder how he got inspired? Either way, Happy Birthday Mr. Cash

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend sent me this link...I guess he knew I was in a funk (like you) I think it speaks to all creatives...
http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2009/02/zack-arias-nails-it-transform.html

Melissa Sue said...

i find the best inspiration is just work. for example, with my 2-d work, if i can't think of something, i just start doing little studies of whatever's on my desk. and with 3-d, if i can't get an idea, i just start crocheting something really simple. anything to just keep the hands moving. once they start going, the brain usually kicks in a little later :)
my other fav thing to do is to take out that pile of supplies i've been saving for god-knows-what (we all have that stash somewhere!) and say, ok, i am going to make something with *only* this stuff. what can i come up with. this will stash-bust and brain-bust!

Dee Wilcox said...

Thank you for linking to my post on Perch! It's true that it can take more than a few good tips or reading about creativity to get yourself motivated or feeling crafty. I haven't felt that creative lately, either, and I haven't felt the inspiration to write much. So, I spent the weekend working in the yard and tackling other to-dos. I think getting those tasks "out of my head" has helped me finally feel like my creative self again.