Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cutesy but Not Cutesy- Plush Exclusive and Interview

Last year at Plush You! I had the pleasure of meeting Diane of Cutesy But Not Cutesy fame.  She's sweet and nice and adventurous and so are her creations.  We will be releasing her plush exclusive on Aug. 18th.  Until then, read a little interview I did with her here.


S- What was your inspiration behind this exclusive?

CBNC- A huge part of my life as a plush designer has been traveling to knew places, meeting new people, and facing new adventures of all kinds.  My work has taken me to places and cities I never thought I'd have a chance to visit and I am incredibly grateful for this.  This has been the inspiration behind this plush exclusive.  Each piece is designed for a city that my monsters and I have had the good fortune to travel to.  Each piece holds a special meaning to me as it represents where my hard work has taken me, the amazing people I have met along the way, the lessons I've learned, and what the future may hold for myself and my creations.
 

S- Since summer is coming to a wind down...did you do anything fun this summer or have any vacation plans still?

CBNC- My summer has been filled with travel and excitement with good friends and the monsters along for most of the rides.  I was able to fly out to San Francisco for Makerfaire and got to meet many fellow members of the Etsy Plush Team and then set out for some good hiking in Yosemite.  The monsters and I also traveled all up and down the east coast to various craft shows from Philly to Brooklyn, Boston, Providence, DC, Baltimore, and Asheville, NC!  I don't have any vacations planned in the immediate future since I have to start getting ready for the fall/holiday shows with trips to Chicago, DC, and possibly back to the west coast in the works.  I am, however, planning a trip for the winter months as a sweet reward for all of my hard work… possibly somewhere in South America? ;)


S- You are apart of the Etsy Plush Team, how has that experience been for you?  Any suggestions for newbie plush
makers?


CBNC- The Etsy Plush Team has been a huge support for me in my journey as a full time plush designer.  I have been so lucky to be part of such an amazing group of artists who are always willing to lend a helping hand.  Most importantly we all pick each other up when we are down and push each other along when we need a bit of motivation and encouragement.  I am very thankful to have been able to meet so many of the members of the team in person throughout my travels, they are all just as sweet and inspirational in person as they are on the internet!

If I had to give one suggestion to a new plush maker it would be to work hard to come up with something original and something that is unique to you as the artist.  It's a wonderful thing to draw inspiration from other designers but the most important thing is to take that inspiration and use it has reference to make something entirely new and different.  That is where the true artistic gratification lies. And definitely apply to the Plush Team when you think you're ready, it will only make you a stronger artist and designer and the inspirations are endless.
 

S- What's your favorite ice cream?

CBNC- My favorite ice cream is probably twist soft serve in a cup with rainbow sprinkles but if I had to fancy my choice up a bit it might be cookies and cream or something pistachio related.
 

S- What is your studio space like?

CBNC- My studio space is basically my entire apartment.  I recently realized that I no longer live in an apartment but I live in a monster warehouse which I am oddly entirely o.k. with.  I have two bedrooms, one of which is designated as my "studio" but has really become my fur storage and cutting room.  I work in my living room where I have access to my laptop, t.v., stereo, and everything else I might need.  I also have my packaging and shipping station in my living room, as well.  I'm hoping that someday in the near future I will expand to a separate studio or shared space with some like-minded people, then I can reclaim my apartment as a living space.  But living in this "monster warehouse" more than works for me right now!

5 comments:

Fall 2011 said...

go Diane! Beautiful work, as always.

Alvaro Arteaga said...

congratulations Diane.

Lou Lou & Oscar said...

Yay Diane! So cool to read this interview and get a peek at the exclusive, such a novel concept, I love them!
xxx

Unknown said...

What a great interview! Congratulations, Diane! I love the concept for these new pieces, and I consider it such a privilege to know you:)

Cutesy but not cutesy said...

Thank you SO much! :)