Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Softlife Plush Exclusive and Interview

My friend Coco is the woman behind Softlife.   I had no idea that she made the most magical creatures on the planet until I saw her show at her, now husband's shop, Anne Bonny.  Her work is inspiring, eye catching and super loveable.  She has made some really fun, summery (which we need big time in these parts) guys for her plush exclusive.  These will begin going on sale July 7th.  Until then learn a bit about the maker.


S- What was your inspiration behind this exclusive?

SL- My inspiration behind this line of toys was New Rave and a longing for the bright and happy colors of summer.


S- One of your dream projects?

SL- There are so many! One thing I would love to do is make a collection of five foot tall Denizens that sprout grass and leave them all over the city. Giant Chia pets everywhere!


S- You will be a vendor at Urban Craft Uprising!  What will mainly be for sale at your booth?

SL- I am going for a carny theme this summer. I have been designing plush toys that are reminiscent of the types of plush prizes I won as a child at the 50th state fair in Hilo. I am also working on a line of plush prize fighters, which for some reason, seem to me to fit in with the whole carney vibe. I will also have Sweater Beast kits, needle felted throw pillows, felted wall hangings, and as always, lots of strange plush creatures.


S- Where you might like to see your art in the next 5 years?

SL- To be honest, I don't really think that far ahead! I have many, many projects that I hope to realize in the next few years, and i would love to teach my Creature Classes to children in other countries. I have been thinking a lot lately about the feasibility of of being a traveling street vendor. The idea of selling art on the street both in the US and abroad, really appeals to me. I have been raising kids for twenty one years now, and being a vagabond sounds very romantic!


S- What are you looking forward to this summer (if it should ever arrive)?

SL- I am looking forward to being home and making art with my husband, Spencer. I will have a month off in August, and I  look forward to having time to paint, play guitar, and taking the needle felted wall hangings in a new direction.

No comments: