Friday, September 11, 2009

Canning



Because I got excited about Canning Across America and then read an article in an old New York Times Magazine about Brandy Peaches I decided it was a sign. I need to can some stuff. I also think it would make really nice gifts this year for the holidays. I am always running around last minute trying to get gifts which annoys the heck out of me. Sooo this year I will make food. Because everyone likes to eat!

This morning I woke up really early (i think i am on east coast time) so I went over to Elliot Bay Books to check out their canning/preserving books. I decided the best one there was Jellies, Jams & Chutneys. The directions seem really clear and the photos make things better for me. It's hard to know exactly what someone means when you don't have much experience with something. BUT the photos here make me feel comfortable. I can do this. I'll report some results as I go along.

2 comments:

Barbara Prime said...

I can lots of stuff too. It's fun and a yummy way to enjoy the summer and autumn in the dead of winter. I especially like chutneys - you make them out of the strangest ingredients sometimes (like green tomatoes or carrots) but they end up sweet, sour, spicy, and awesome with just about anything.

Unknown said...

out visiting ...
FANTASTIC BLOG...
mona & the girls