Friday, November 16, 2007

Aimee Ray

Aimee Ray participated in last year's Plush You! show and just came out with her new book Doodle Stitching. I thought this would be a perfect time to interview her to learn more about her and her book. Congrats to Aimee on this recent accomplishment! It looks like a wonderful book to add to my craft bookshelf.

S- You just came out with your book titled 'Doodle Stitching'. How long have you been doing embroidery?

AR- I learned to embroider when I was about 5, but just picked it up again a few
years ago and began designing my own patterns.

S- I get a lot of questions about doing a book and it's weird to give advice since I just did one and worked with one publisher. What was your experience putting together Doodle Stitching?

AR-Well, I was lucky, Lark (my publisher) actually contacted me after seeing my
work online and asked if I'd like to write it! I was stunned but of course I
said yes. It took about a year to write, illustrate and design and make all the projects. It was a good experience, they were very helpful since I'd never written anything before, but not overpowering.

S- What do you think makes your book unique to all the rest?

AR- It has basic instructions and an introduction to embroidery for beginners, but it also has patterns and projects that would appeal to any level of embroiderer. My original artwork and pattern designs make it unique.

S-I am a huge fan of Blythe dolls. I noticed you make some super cute little outfits and friends for Blythe. How long have you been making clothes for her and do you have any advice to those of us that might be interested in making our own clothes for her? ie. resources, etc.?

AR- I started making Blythe clothes when I got my first Blythe in March! Sewing
tiny patterns is not really my strong point, mostly I make clothes just for my own dolls so I don't have to worry if they're not perfect. :) The online Blythe community is awesome! There are some great free patterns and resources at Puchi Collective and lots more at This is Blythe

To read the whole interview go here

No comments: